Tuesday, December 18, 2007

IT Geeks are the new mechanics?

Okay, a quickie to get back into the blogging habit.

I'm wondering whether the IT industry in the 21st century attracts workers that 50 years ago would have been mechanics? If not mechanics, then television repairmen, or telephone exchange workers, or any other kind of technical but not rocket-science job.

Let me put it another way: would IT support offices around the the world be full of magazine pictures of scantily clad women if it weren't for contrary workplace policies? I've seen some "IT guys" these days that definitely break the stereo-type of "nerdy 20/30 something with wispy facial hair." Don't get me wrong. More diversity is good; but what I really can't help thinking is, if I was born 50 years ago, would I have been a petrol head?

No comments: